Monday, July 7, 2008

A Fabulous Fourth!

This year's 4th of July started at 7am with a 5K (Provo's Annual "Freedom Run.") I ran it with 3 of my sisters. We wore our free t-shirts and matching pink arm bands. This was my first 5K and it was actually really fun. There were tons of people lined up for the upcoming parade that cheered us on to the end. I placed 30th out of 4000 runners so I was really proud of myself. OK, OK, I placed 30th in my age group, and 550th overall...almost the same...right?! Here is a shot of my sister Andrea and I right after the run:

Next I headed off to the parade with my siblings. (Aaron stayed home while Finn took a nap.)Here are a couple pics of my favorite floats:
Only in Utah. Yes, that is a bride and a model of the Timpanogos Temple. I can't remember exactly what those signs said but it was something like "Stop: to read your scriptures" and "Yield: to the spirit" etc. Classic.
This float had a giant version of the Declaration of Independence alongside flags and fireworks.

Later on, we went to my sister Megan's house for a BBQ.

Our little family

The fam enjoying some food in Megan's backyard
Finn found Megan's piano and couldn't get enough! He had to stand on his tippy toes just to reach the keys but was so excited by his discovery that he could have played for hours!

Once outside, I introduced Finn to this toy car and he loved it! (That is his cousin Brody enjoying some watermelon off to the side)

And after the BBQ? Our own personal fireworks show of course! Aaron made a special trip to Evanston, WY this year to buy fireworks just for the occasion. He is like a kid in a candy store when it comes to buying/lighting off fireworks. And yes, it is true that during the off-season he occasionally sets some off of our balcony just to relieve stress.

I love this picture because you can still see the smoke from the firework going off, and the boys are just watching it go.

Here is one of the bigger fireworks Aaron bought:


Several neighbors came out to watch the show and we all had a great time! I am so grateful to live in this wonderful country. I love Canada too (and had a marvelous Canada Day on July 1st) and just feel so lucky to have lived in two countries where I can be truly free. Happy Independence Day!

5 comments:

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Sweet action shot of the fireworks! Why didn't I think of that?! And always fun to be featured on someone else's blog, non? :) Thanks for getting me all red-faced and sporty. :) That picture of your family is so cute! I must get a photo of our little family someday--in our photo albums, Brody still only exists as a single entity! Sad, but true. Anyway, keep up the good work--I love what you've done with the place!

Charlotta-love said...

Oh my...that is a classic Utah float. My oh my.

davis said...

you are my favorite dual citizen!

Bailey said...

550th out of 4,000 is not too shabby! 4th of July in Provo is a ton of fun. Nothing beats a float of a bride and a temple.fmjqbe

Lisa Johnson said...

You look SO CUTE in that green shirt w/ the green necklace and your hair down and curly. Looks like a fun 4th of July. Do you also celebrate Canada Day?